Women rule when it comes to home decor. Obviously there are many exceptions, but I do think that the ladies often have the final say and are sometimes more motivated to “nest” and design their spaces.
Which is why I was so excited to get this submission for, and I quote: “a contemporary manly style with a black accent wall.” Sweet! Not only is it an excellent man pad, but he wants a black accent wall. Very gutsy and stylish for sure.
Here’s the blank slate, a sweet brownstone with exposed brick and modern open staircase. The stage is already set for modern and manly.
Primary Colors + Black Accent Wall = Modern Manly
Ok, I’m a girl and I love this space too. So maybe it’s just modern and not girly-girl. Check out that black accent wall with the fireplace. Hot! It really anchors the room and isn’t overwhelming at all. I didn’t want to overload on the black, though, so grey is the main neutral for the primary pops of colors. And one very important change: to really modernize the room, the front door should be replaced with something more sleek. This one echoes the lines of the stair rail and really looks great.
Black Ceiling + Geometric Shapes = Modern Manly
If you are willing to spring for a black accent wall, why not push the envelope even more and go for a black ceiling? What I love about black ceilings is that they literall raise the roof. The height of the room becomes indistinguishable, much like on a stage set. By pushing the edges of the room out, you bring the focus into the center – where all of the action is. It’s instant drama!
Earth Tones + Clean Lines = Manly Modern
What about a color softer than black? Deep chocolate brown goes great with the warm tones of the exposed brick and hardwood floors. The entire palette is a tasteful set of earthy neutrals punctuated by a rusty orange. These scheme is a bit softer than the previous rooms, with long curtains on the front windows and a warm wood door. It’s modern and manly, with a soft touch.
Primary/Black Accent Wall
- Valspar Paint: Dark Kettle Black, Simply Gray
- Big Blocks Rug, 2Modern
- Arco Sofa, Bo Concept
- Yellow Chair, Bo Concept
- Ottoman, Bo Concept
- Coffee Table, Bo Concept
- Door, Bella Porta
- Roller Shade, Chilewich Chalk, The Shade Store
- Art: Meeting in the Middle III
- Chrome Lamp, Lamps Plus
- Pillow, Chiasso
- Black Pillow, Chiasso
- Valspar Paint: Flood Tide, New Black
- Sofa, Bo Concept
- Wall Wool Rug, 2Modern
- Imola Chair, Bo Concept
- Coffee Table w/optional casters, Bo Concept
- Zigzag floor pouf, West Elm
- Zig zag bookshelf, Bo Concept
- D-A Door, Dark Mahogany, Bella Porta
- Roller Shade in Gray, The Shade Store
- Woody Floor Lamp, Bo Concept
- Retro Modern Art
Earth Tones/Clean Lines
- Valspar Paint: Rich Chocolate, Thorny Brush
- Gandia Blasco Flat Wool Rug with red, 2Modern
- Chair, Bo Concept
- Lounge Chair, Dark Brown Sierra Fabric, Bo Concept
- Side Table, Bo Concept
- Devo Round Lamp, 2Modern
- Front Door, Vision 01, Bella Porta
- Cotton Canvas Curtain, West Elm
- Louis Poulsen AJ Floor Lamp, 2Modern
- Weave Wall art, Chiasso